Think you know everything there is to know about historical Rome? Flex your muscles and put your mind to the test in this tricky quiz created by our in-house historian!
1. Marcus Porcius Cato Uticensis refused to let Quintus Hortensius marry his daughter but instead offered him...?
A position in the senate
A large sum of money
A marriage to his own wife
The governorship of Syria
2. Which Roman consul allegedly threw all the sacred chickens overboard stating, "If they won't eat, let them drink"
Appius Claudius Caecus
Gnaeus Claudius Pulcher
Marcus Claudius Caecus
Publius Claudius Pulcher
3. Which Roman siblings decided to change their patrician names into more plebeian sounding names?
Publius Claudius Pulcher and Claudia Pulchra Tercia
Quintus Caecilius Metellus Nepos and Caecilia Metella Balearica
Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus and Aemilia Paulla
Sextus Julius Caesar and Julia Caesaris
4. What was the name of the battle in which the conspirators of Catiline were finally defeated?
The Battle of Pistoria
The Battle of Campania
The Battle of Silarus River
The Battle of Mount Tifata
5. Which Roman general is rumoured to have been bathed in molten gold after his decisive defeat against the Parthians?
Marcus Otacilius Crassus
Marcus Licinius Crassus
Publius Licinius Crassus
Gaius Licinius Crassus
6. When Sulla came to power he increased the number of senators to 600 but how many members did the senate have prior to that?
7. What was the name of the Roman law that granted Roman allies citizenship?
Lex Plautia Papiria
Lex Papiria Julia
Lex Papia Poppaea
Lex Papia de Peregrinis
8. What was the emblem of the Legio III Gallica?
9. Which Roman envoy prevented Antiochus III from attacking Egypt by threatening to declare war on Syria if Antiochus crossed the line he had drawn in the sand?
Gaius Papirius Crassus
Marcus Popilius Laenas
Gaius Popilius Laenas
Gaius Popilius Carus
10. Who secretly attended the ceremony of Bona Dea (goddess of fertility, virginity and healing) dressed as a woman?
Appius Claudius Russus
Publius Claudius Pulcher
Appius Claudius Pulcher
Gaius Claudius Pulcher
11. Who was the first Pontifex to break the religious law by leaving Italy?
Caecilius Metellus Delmaticus
Cornelius Lentulus Caudinus
Publius Cornelius Scipio Nasica Serapio
Cornelius Scipio Barbatus
12. How did Gnaeus Cornelius Scipio Asina (donkey) earn his nickname?
Because of his stubbornness
He was caught in a bribery scandal
Because his face resembled that of a donkey
He was taken prisoner by the Carthaginians
13. What is not true about Marius' military reforms?
They introduced permanent employment for professional soldiers
Armament were supplied for by the state
Soldiers were recruited for an enlistment period of 20 years
Training and equipment could be standardized throughout the armies
14. Prior to becoming one of the most famous playwrights of the Roman Republic, Publius Terentius Afer (Terence) spent a great part of his life as a...?
15. Which of the following texts did Quintus Horatius Flaccus write?
De Arte Poetica Liber
De Vita Beata
De Brevitate Vitae
© Paradox Interactive 2008. All rights reserved. Europa Universalis: ROME is a trademark of Paradox Interactive.